A Travellerspoint blog

We're Coming Home, We're Coming Home, To Our House

Saturday 20th October

Today is our last day in Japan. Started with a good workout in the gym, much to Chris's annoyance as I disturbed him as I got ready. We had requested a late check out and could have stayed until 3 pm but only needed till 1 pm.

Totally repacked bag and backpack with a spare set of clothes in case we get a chance for a shower in Bangkok. We have a 2.5hour stopover there so it depends how quick we get across to the Lounges and what time we have to board, and of course, if anyone else is having a shower there will be another delay.

The bus ride to Narita Airport was about 50minutes. Notice they had toilets at the back of the bus about halfway into the trip when reading the signage on board.


If you catch this bus sit on the left side as all the interesting scenery is on that side and on the right high walls and train lines. The bus makes 3 stops - first at Terminal 2, then Terminal 1 South Side and Terminal 1 North Side. You know which one you want as its on your luggage ticket that the man loading you luggage onto the bus gives you as he asked which airline you were flying with.


Had to wait nearly an hour to check-in as Thai weren't opening the counters until 14:25pm. That's about 2.5hours to get through a baggage check, immigration and walk to the furthest possible gate at the airport, number 46. Took half an hour. One day we will be travelling on a plane whose gate is straight across from the immigration, one day.


You wouldn't like the ANA business class lounge, Avril, as it only serves beer or you could go to the Sake Bar, but I think no. Very big though, plenty of seating and the food ok too.

We board at 16:25 for our 16:55 flight to Bangkok. Here's hoping for a smooth flight. Maybe if I close my eyes I can be back on the Shinkansen and the side to side rocking and noise will be the same. I tried locking that feeling in when we were travelling as it was quite similar but I just knows my feet are not on the ground.

Arrived in 21:35 Bangkok time which was a 6 hour flight. Due to board 23:19 for our 23:59 flight to Brisbane. Very smooth flight apart from the bumpy descent but I concentrated on my hangman game though funnily enough didn't seem to get many right all of a sudden. The business seats were all at an angle which had Chris and I in the two centre seat slightly turned away from each other.


This allowed for a fully flat bed but not much chance of a conversation. If we were aware of this we could have chosen a window and a centre seat which would be more facing even with the aisle.
The transit counter scanned everyone's hand luggage again and then I headed off for a shower in the lounge.


Arrive Brisbane 11:50 Sunday.

Landed 11:30am and text the girls that we had arrived. They had only just left for the airport but no problem as we had to get through customs and buy some duty free. This time we were given an Express ticket and so we were through the whole process and through the arrival gates as Erica was just wandering in at 11:50am. Richelle had dropped her off at the gate and gone to look for a park so she needed to turn around and come back to get us, only she missed the turn and ended doing a sightsee drive to DFO and back.
Great to see the girls, they had looked after themselves and the house fine. Were cooking a roast lamb for dinner and even made our bed for our arrival. My request for an upgrade to an ocean view room was met with a 'Good luck with that.'
Great to be home.

Posted by tojoken 00:02

Table of contents


Welcome Home.

by Mignonne Spruce

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint